HOME Member Groups Membership Contact

Victims of 1992 Toxic Fire STILL Need Medical Help and a
Decontamination of Their Homes

The acids from the toxic fire are rotting out the air ducts in these contaminated homes.

These air ducts were professionally cleaned two times,
but the strange chemical reaction continues,
raining toxic particles on residents.

Many residents blame the toxic fire for the rashes common in the "toxic zone," but cannot get a cure from their physicians,
who are mystified.

This little boy was born with a rash,
and has never known life without it.

auheedah Muhammad can point in any direction to a home where a neighbor has died after complaining of illness caused by the toxic fire. Symptoms include breathing and heart troubles, headaches, rashes, and hair loss.

The community asked Governor Symington for help in 1993, after the death rate increased significantly.
He promised help that never
came--now Governor Hull refuses to meet with them at all.

Despite widespread publicity about illnesses and deaths, despite the contaminants from the fire being found in their homes and in their bodies, no help has come for this affected community.

"I know it seems simple to you--before the fire, you were all perfectly healthy, and after the fire you are all ill, but to us (environmental regulatory agencies), it is not as simple. We have to sample your homes for contaminants and determine if there is a health risk."

Betty Brown helped conduct a health survey in the community. "There have been about 60-70 more deaths than normally would be expected to occur since the fire, and meanwhile, more sampling for contaminants is the only response, or the excuse, "The level of chemicals found isn't enough to cause these problems. But people are ill!!"

"We've told the health departments and the environmental agencies our story over and over for five years--now send someone out to clean my home and see if that chemical stuff is in my attic. I've been sick since that fire, and I was well before it happened!"

Tamika Milton took her son to all sorts of doctors, and none of them could cure his rashes, even after five years of trying. She was pregnant during the fire, and he was born with a rash. She even had to cut his hair due to the itching and sores. She blames the fire. When she finally moved out of the house, his symptoms all went away. This has happened for many who fled the area.

"People aren't making it up when they say they are ill, especially after all this time. This lack of response to such an obvious disaster should indicate what will happen in another community, perhaps yours, if there is a similar chemical disaster in your neighborhood. Don't let industry in your residential areas!" Steve Brittle, President, Don't Waste Arizona, Inc.


| Home | | Accomplishments | | Membership | | Contact |